Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The value of my gift

Disclaimer: I don't post this to brag. The point of this post is to edify and encourage others who don't feel like they have much to offer.


My neighbor is going on a business trip for a spell and asked if I would be willing to take her perishables so that she wouldn't have to throw them out since they were not "freezable". She had cabbage, many different varieties of squash, and a bulk bag of peeled baby carrots.

I told her that she could definitely freeze them if she cooked them a little first. She and I had a previous discussion how Fall was our favorite time of year and that we just love all the stews and soups to make on a chilly day.

When I told her what she could do her reply was, "Well, the problem is I'm running out of time." I actually grieved for her at that moment. You see, her family is quite financially stable and successful. I so desperately try not to covet her life and her beatiful house. I'm sure she has no problem spending a mere $50 for decorations to spruce up her porch in one store visit. That would take me several months to squeeze from our tight budget to acquire.

The Holy Spirit revealed to me at that moment that I had something just as valuable as money. I have time...and plenty of it.

Our neighbors have blessed us so much over the years. They once gave us a whole deer to process and keep. They constantly bless the kids with gifts from her consignment store and always have fresh produce from their garden of the items that I do not grow in mine to bless us with.

I have never felt the need to pay them back. God doesn't keep tallies. He isn't keeping score. (This is where the disclaimer comes in!!). But, I knew that I had an opportunity to bless them (not bless them back...just bless them).

I am currently steaming all the veggies she gave me and will give her half of them back all bagged and ready for her freezer in portions for her to use in her soups and stews. She also gave me overripe bananas that she was going to make banana bread with so I will do that for her as well.

I can't wait to be able to bless her! Isn't giving fun???

So don't under-estimate the value of your gifts and talents. No matter how insignificant or small your generosity seems to you it can be a HUGE blessing to the one you are serving.

1 comment:

  1. Bragging or not, I was blessed just to hear that story. I think it is great to have such great blessing neighbors. If that is a right way to say it. :)
    Have a great day,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete